Travel, days out and the way you travel impacts your health. There’s overwhelming research that shows exposure to nature benefits physical and mental health and promotes healing.
Nothing beats the great outdoors to make you feel energised and improve your mood.
A recent study found that people who spend two hours a week in green spaces reported significantly better health and psychological well-being than those who didn’t. But there were no benefits for those who didn’t manage at least two hours.
The National Trust manages over 250,000 hectares (965 square miles) and 780 miles of coastline. That’s a lot of land. Most of which is countryside and coastal areas where they’re focused on the promotion and conservation of nature and wildlife.
National Trust members enjoy access and free parking to all of this, and more than 500 properties, including parks and gardens. On top of that, they run all-year-round family-friend nature activities that connect us, and more importantly our children, to nature.
I’m one of their partners, which means you get a discount on National Trust membership and exclusive online offers.
National Trust walks, nature and wildlife
Walking is an underrated exercise, and getting fit in nature is incredibly beneficial. I’ve put together some comprehensive guides to help you get the most out of the National Trust and the natural world.
- 15 National Trust Cornwall walks to experience nature and wildlife
- 23 National Trust Devon walks to experience nature and wildlife
- 12 ways to connect with nature on National Trust Isle of Wight days out
Travelling by train is a fantastic way to travel with many benefits for your well-being. It offers you the freedom to enjoy the journey on your terms.
Enjoying nature’s changing seasons and spectacular scenery is a calming experience. While socialising with your fellow travellers and soaking up the local culture is good for the soul.
Train travel is comfortable and on time and gets you to the heart of your destination.
In Britain, getting a Railcard is a no-brainer, as you get 1/3 off most train tickets. And if you’re travelling with children, they’ll get 60% off.
All Railcards offer off-peak travel discounts, and some include any time. Choose a Railcard that’s right for you:
- 16-17 Saver – 50% off rail travel, including season tickets
- 16-25 Railcard – 1/3 off train tickets for 16 to 25-year-olds and mature students
- 26-30 Railcard – 1/3 off rail travel for 26 to 30-year-olds
- Family & Friends Railcard – 1/3 off adult and 60% off child rail fares
- Network Railcard – 1/3 off adult and 60% off child train tickets in London and the South East
- Senior Railcard – 1/3 off rail fares for people aged 60 and over
- Two Together Railcard – 1/3 off train travel for two people travelling together
- Disabled Persons Railcard – 1/3 off rail travel for the Railcard holder and one other person
- Veterans Railcard – 1/3 off train tickets for the Railcard holder and a companion and 60% off for kids
The Caledonian Sleeper links London to destinations in Scotland, including Glasgow, Edinburgh and the Highlands. During spring and summer, you can appreciate the breathtaking Highland scenery along the West Highland Line stretch between Glasgow and Fort William.
I recommend you buy a Caledonian Sleeper berth in advance. Tickets are pricey, and you’ll get much better value knowing you’ve paid less.
Electric bikes get you from A to B with less effort and often quicker than a standard bike. They’re convenient in hilly areas and handy for regular cyclists, such as commuters.
Across the whole range, however, you’ll now find electric-assisted bicycles. From versatile hybrid and step-through to full-suspension mountain and sleek racing, you’ll find an e-bike to suit you.
Save money today with special offers on e-bikes.
- Electric bike deals – get the latest discounts and promotions from leading UK e-bike brands and retailers.
- Pure Electric bikes – find out the latest offers from Pure Electric and discover the affordable Pure e-bike range
- Electric Rider – choose an e-bike for you from this specialist retailer’s vast collection